Komen St. Louis Race For The Cure | June 15, 2013
Related Links: Photo Gallery | Download a 5x7 Team Photo
Nearly 2,000 people joined the St. Louis Blues and FOX Sports Midwest in the fight against breast cancer on Saturday, June 15 at the Komen St. Louis Race for the Cure.
The Blues organized a team for the seventh consecutive year and raised an estimated $65,000 for breast cancer research. Team members met outside Scottrade Center as early 6:30 a.m. Saturday, where they met former Blues defenseman Bob Plager and Louie. In addition, team members posed for a team photo and received a light breakfast.
According to race organizers, “tens of thousands” of people turned out to support the 5K race, which is held each year in downtown St. Louis.
Approximately 75 percent of the money raised from Saturday’s event will remain in the St. Louis area to pay for cancer screenings, treatment and support programs. The other 25 percent will go to the Susan G. Komen Foundation to support breast cancer research.
According to breastcancer.org, about one in eight women will develop breast cancer in their lifetime. Thanks to events and fundraisers such as the Race for the Cure, death rates have been decreasing since 1990, although nearly 40,000 women died in 2011 from the disease.
Here are some comments from survivors and other team members at the event:
Bob Plager: “My brother Barclay’s wife is a breast cancer survivor for about nine years, but she’s good now. This is a great cause. I think everybody that’s here has been touched by this disease or knows somebody that has been. Maybe one of these days, we can make enough (money) and get rid of this disease.”
Carol Buckman, survivor: “My first diagnosis was 12 years ago and I’ve had two more since then. I was fortunate in my treatment because I never got sick and have always had a positive attitude. People that I know who come up with (the disease), I try to encourage them to be very positive about it.
“I’ve been a Blues season ticket holder for about eight years. When I had my third surgery, I had drain tubes (with me). I had my season tickets and I came here with four drain tubes in me. I wasn’t going to miss the game.”
Monica Ozanich, team member: “My grandma died a couple years ago from (breast cancer), and it’s terrible to have to go through. But this is a great cause, and you turn the corner and you see everybody, it just gives you chills. To see these survivors cross the (finish) line, I can’t even imagine that. It’s so cool, you just want to go and shake their hands.”
Rachel Schneider, survivor: "I’ve been coming out here for 14 years now. I should be an inspiration to a lot of people becuase I felt like there was an angel telling me to go and get checked out. Sure enough, my first mammogram came back positive. They caught it very early and it was Stage 0. They took care of it and I’ve been fine ever since."
Debi Price, survivor: “On July 10, I’ll be a one-year survivor. I had surgery done last year with radiation, and it went great but I had a few setbacks. But I’m here today to do this with my family and friends.”
Erin Price, team member: “To hear my mom had breast cancer, I just thought the worst. I had to be there for her, and I knew I was the one person she had to lean on.
“(This event) is amazing. Everybody that comes out, it’s just amazing that people can show that love and compassion for people they’ve never met. It’s a wonderful thing.”