• Maatta made his Ontario Hockey League debut during the 2011-12 season, leading all rookie defensemen with 32 points (5-27--32) in 58 games.
• He was selected to represent Finland at the 2012 World Junior Championship, but was injured in Finland’s opening game and was unable to participate in the remainder of the tournament. Maatta played in six games at the 2011 World Junior Championship, becoming the first player since 1998 to represent Finland in the tournament at the age of 16.
• He also represented Finland at the 2011 World Under-18 Championship, recording four points (1-3--4) in six games. He was voted one of Finland's top three players at the tournament.
• The Maatta family keeps in close contact despite being separated by the Atlantic Ocean. . Olli Skypes with his family in Finland three times a week, and his mother regularly watches his OHL games via live Internet streams -- “It’s late when she watches, around 2:00 a.m., so she’s tired.”
• Maatta credits former teammates and fellow draft prospects Samu Markkula (No. 61 ranked European skater) and Topi Nattinen (No. 115-ranked European skater) as having a big influence on his career -- “We talked about hockey all the time and had a competition about everything.”
• Maatta started playing hockey in 2000 after he complained to his parents that all of the other kids were allowed to play hockey – “They didn’t have any other choice but to buy hockey equipment.”
NHL player: Nicklas Lidstrom
Shootout move: Pavel Datsyuk’s
Goal celebration: “Teemu Selanne shooting his glove”
Video game: Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3
Movie: Shawshank Redemption
TV show: The Mentalist
Actor: Kiefer Sutherland
Book: English dictionary
Home-cooked meal: Mushroom soup
Activity away from the rink: Playing PS3