Report for the Week Ending Jan. 13
The Peoria Rivermen defeated the Grand Rapids Griffins and the Milwaukee Admirals twice to complete a weekend sweep.
Jan. 11 - 5-2 W at Milwaukee
The Rivermen scored three third period goals on Friday night to defeat the Milwaukee Admirals 5-2. Sergey Andronov started the scoring in the third frame with a penalty shot goal. Andrew Murray, Evgeny Grachev, Adam Cracknell and Cody Beach added the other goals for Peoria. Mike McKenna stopped 23 of 25 for the victory. The Rivermen outshot the Admirals 39-25, while going 1-for-5 on the power play.
Jan. 12 – 3-2 OTW at Grand Rapids
Peoria scored three unanswered goals to beat the Griffins 3-2 in overtime on Saturday night. Sergey Andronov scored the game-winner for the second consecutive night. Adam Cracknell and Brett Sonne scored the other two goals in the contest. Jake Allen made 31 saves to secure the win. Peoria held Grand Rapids to just one power play goal on eight chances. The Rivermen went 0-for-5.
Jan. 13–3-2 SOW at Milwaukee
Mike McKenna made 28 saves and Phil McRae scored the shootout winner in Peoria’s 3-2 win over Milwaukee on Sunday. Sergey Andronov also added a shootout goal, while McKenna stopped all four shootout attempts he faced. Derek Nesbitt scored his 13th goal of the season in regulation. Adam Cracknell also added a tally in the third period, and now has goals in three straight games. The Rivermen went 1-for-6 on the man advantage.
- Mike McKenna has only allowed one shootout goal this season. He has stopped 16 of the 17 shootout attempts he has faced.
- Derek Nesbitt and Adam Cracknell have earned points in each of their last five contests.
- T.J. Hensick still leads the team with 32 points (9 goals, 23 assists).
- Peoria is just 2 for their last 39 on the man-advantage.
- After their three-game winning streak, the Rivermen now have a record of 17-17-2-2.
The Rivermen will visit the Rockford IceHogs on Friday before returning home for games against Texas and Houston on Saturday and Sunday. Games can be heard on CD Country 107.9 FM. For game updates follow @rivsgameday on Twitter.