Report for the Week Ending Dec. 31
The Rivermen dropped both of their contests this week to Milwaukee, but were able to beat the first place Abbotsford Heat on New Year’s Eve.
Dec. 27 – 2-1 L at Milwaukee
Despite scoring the game’s first goal, the Rivermen were unable to hold off the Admirals in a 2-1 loss on Thursday night. For the second straight game Adam Cracknell scored Peoria’s only goal. Ryan Ellis earned the game winner with 3:38 remaining in regulation. Peoria outshot Milwaukee 33-22 in the game.
Dec. 28 – 4-1 L at Milwaukee
The Rivermen lost their third straight game 4-1 to the Milwaukee Admirals on Friday night. Austin Watson scored twice, while Ryan Ellis and Kevin Henderson also added tallies. Derek Nesbitt spoiled the shutout with his 11th goal of the season at the 17:41 mark of the third frame. Mike McKenna allowed four goals on 25 shots.
Dec. 31 – 2-1 SOW vs. Abbotsford
Peoria was able to upset the first place Heat on New Year’s Eve in front of 5,925 home fans. Taylor Chorney scored to tie the game with 12:25 remaining in the third period. After no scoring the rest of the way the game went to a shootout. Phil McRae and Jaden Schwartz scored in the shootout to lead the Rivermen to a victory. Mike McKenna stopped 35 of 36, while his counterpart, Barry Brust, made 36 saves.
- With 32 games played, T.J. Hensick leads the team in points with 28 (9G, 19A).
- Mark Cundari leads all Peoria defensemen in points with 15 (2G, 13A) in 26 games.
- Derek Nesbitt has the team lead for goals with 11. He is also second on the team in total points with 20 (11G, 9A).
- The Rivermen are averaging 2.42 goals per game this season.
- Peoria now has a record of 14-14-2-2.
The Rivermen will face the San Antonio Rampage twice next weekend, and the Texas Stars once. Games can be heard on CD Country 107.9 FM. For game updates follow @rivsgameday on Twitter.